Tuesday, April 28, 2015

GLOW IN THE DARK VOLLEYBALL (QUICK IDEA SERIES) 2 OF 4


GLOW IN THE DARK VOLLEYBALL

My husband (YM Presidency) actually put this activity together for a combined ym/yw activity. Its not an original idea, of course, but it was a big hit. (It was hard to get decent photos of this activity, so this picture is the advertisement I made, using a photo I found online!)


I went shopping for the stuff- I bought 80 glow in the dark bracelets (gave 1 to each youth to wear, then used the rest to line the top of the volleyball net). We also got 2 packs of larger-sized glow sticks to use to make the ball glow (you need quite a bit for 1 ball - the more blowy liquid, the better the glow in the ball). 

We didn't use a real volleyball - I bought a large bouncy ball (the kind they have at the end of one of the toy aisles in a big bin @$4 at Walmart) - I tried to pick the color that was the most transparent (orange I think). This is because you are going to inject the ball with glowy stuff to make it glow in the dark. 

Then I bought a syringe (I had to go to a seed & feed / farm supply store for this, apparently they don't just sell needles OTC at walmart! I felt like everyone was looking at me like a druggie because I kept asking for needles! At the farm supply store, I told them what I needed and what it was for and they helped me find what I needed (behind the counter) - a LARGE syringe with small needle that would fit into the hole of the ball. The associate at the store told me that a large sized syringe would be best because I could put more glowy stuff in at once instead of having to refill a ton of times. It worked great, only cost a few dollars.

You have to cut open the glow sticks to get the glowy stuff out, but you MUST be very careful (I would not recommend letting the youth do this part) because the glowy ingredients are encased in vials of GLASS inside the plastic bracelet/necklace. When you bend a glow in the dark bracelet/necklace to make it low, you are actually breaking the glass inside, which exposes the chemicals to the air and causes them to start glowing. So if you cut off one end of a bracelet, the liquid will not pour out until the glass is broken. Once the glass is broken, you are dealing with tiny shards of glass. You don't want to touch it or suck it up into the needle when you are trying to pull the liquid into the syringe. BE CAREFUL! Once you have liberated a good amount of the liquid into a bowl or cup (I used disposable), you can use your syringe to collect the liquid and insert it into the hole of the ball (use the same hole that you would use for pumping up the ball - do not insert the needle into the wall of the ball because it will leak out)

Be sure to practice ahead of time with a small amount of glowy stuff to make sure you know how to do it and that the needle size will work, but save most of the glowy stuff (technical term!) to inject right before the activity so that the glow doesn't wear out (its supposed to glow for hours, but you never know how long). 



2 comments:

  1. We were planning on doing this activity in a couple weeks...I love the invitation you have created!! Could you possibly email it to me?
    THANKS!!
    Jess
    jessieandnick@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were planning on doing this activity in a couple weeks...I love the invitation you have created!! Could you possibly email it to me?
    THANKS!!
    Tanya
    tanyalynnjones@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete