Tuesday, January 29, 2013

YW Theme Taboo Game

Despite our best efforts, sometimes the class activities we have planned just don't stretch out the entire 1 1/2 hours of Mutual, so I was trying to think of some things we could do that would be good time-fillers, but also fun and semi-educational (and not time-wasters)...
 
The Mia Maids in our ward are really into games. I got the idea to make a YW theme Taboo style game from a pin on Pinterest about Burlap & Denim. Taboo is the game where you try to get your partner to say the word at the top of the card (but you can't say any of the words on the card in the process). Having a game like this that focuses on YW related things (like the YW Values and other church-related topics) is a good way to re-emphasize those things in a fun way.

Burlap & Denim has a whole set of (free) pre-designed cards that you can just print out onto cardstock and then cut-out. If you have the Taboo board game (or can borrow or buy one used) you can even use the Taboo card holder (shown here in Burlap & Denim's photo):


When I was in the office supply area at the store yesterday, I saw that they had Avery printable flash-card sheets, so I thought I would save myself some time by printing the cards onto pre-cut flashcards. I thought it would be good to have pre-perforated cards so that I didn't end up with any odd-shaped cards because I'd cut them by hand. However, my genius plan didn't work out because the size/quantity per page of the flashcards I purchased didn't fit with the size/quantity per page of the pre-designed cards from Burlap & Denim...so I had to improvise.

I had purchased the Avery Custom Print Flash Cards (56 count), but they are also available in larger  quantities (100, 200, etc). The package I bought was under $5.

Using the Avery online template that goes with the flashcards I bought, I used some of the ideas from Burlap & Denim and also created some of my own cards.

If you decide to make your own cards using the Avery printable flashcards like I did, please note that they will not fit in the Taboo game card holders. You could also use the Avery online template (4780) to make your own cards and print them on cardstock if you want to make all your own cards without actually purchasing the printable flashcards, but they will not fit into the Taboo card holders either.

The only way that I could find to easily print these cards so that they will fit in the Taboo card holders is to use plain cardstock and Burlap & Denim's pre-designed cards.  I don't have any Taboo game card holders anyhow, so I plan to have the girls just hold the stack of cards.

Here are the cards I made (16 total). You might need to make more cards if you have a larger group.I still have a lot of blank flash-card sheets leftover, so I will probably add more later as the girls get really good at guessing these!




I thought it would be fun to have a "sample" card that could be used to teach (or remind) the girls how to play without taking one of the real playable cards out of circulation (because everyone would see the answer when I demonstrated), so I created this special "Sister Rogers" card (about myself)...that I hope they will think is funny...


SOME IDEAS FOR CARDS:
MUTUAL: Wednesday, night, activity
PERSONAL PROGRESS: project, chart, goals
DIVINE NATURE: daughter, heavenly, father
GENERAL CONFERENCE: April, October, Worldwide
BISHOP: Ward, Father, Interview
TESTIMONY: Know, true, Holy Ghost
SCRIPTURES: Book, Mormon, Bible
SEMINARY: morning, class, youth
FOR THE STRENGTH OF YOUTH: pamphlet, church, standards
LAUREL: oldest, 16, date
MIA MAID: middle, 14, dance
BEEHIVES: youngest, 12, new

PURPOSE: Create a fun and church-based game for those weeks when your class activity runs short!
COST: $5 or less, depending on paper used to print cards.

13 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Is it possible to get a list of the words you used on the cards (with the words they can't say)? I would love to do this with the YW in my ward! (If you can email it to me, my email address is couponsandlace@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner, I've had a problem with comments not showing up on my blog for almost a year and I finally got it resolved today. I've just added a list of card topics to the post. Thanks for your patience.

      Delete
  2. I would love a copy as well. rochelleludlow@msn.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner, I've had a problem with comments not showing up on my blog for almost a year and I finally got it resolved today. I've just added a list of card topics to the post. Thanks for your patience.

      Delete
  3. My gals would like to play this game. Could I get a copy of the additional cards you made? I found the PP set on the other site. Thank you so much! kittypurdon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner, I've had a problem with comments not showing up on my blog for almost a year and I finally got it resolved today. I've just added a list of card topics to the post. Thanks for your patience.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got called to YW! What a fun game. I'd love a copy too! Thank you :) methompson2004@netzero.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for this because the original blog that posted it is down. Could you send me any file you have that I might be able to customize too? We think this could be a really fun part of new beginnings. Thank you SO much!! amber dot grover at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking for this because the original blog that posted it is down. Could you send me any file you have that I might be able to customize too? We think this could be a really fun part of new beginnings. Thank you SO much!! amber dot grover at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!

    Please, please Could I get a copy of the additional cards you made?

    My email is carolinarodriguezlara@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!

    Please, please Could I get a copy of the additional cards you made?

    My email is carolinarodriguezlara@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete