Tuesday, November 13, 2012

CRAFTS THAT TEACH SKILLS - part 1 of 3


In trying to plan class activities that we could do during November and December, I was thinking that it might be nice for the girls to be able to make gifts that they could give to friends or relatives. Most of our girls are not what I would consider "crafty," and if I told them we were going to make crafts they probably would run screaming the other way.

I spent some time trying to think of things that they would enjoy making, but would also teach them a skill or reinforce a principle. I think its empowering to make something yourself - and when you can make something that you are really proud of that is great for self-esteem.

This is especially good around the holidays, since a lot of people are cutting back because of the economy, so its nice to feel like you have skills that allow you to make something special as a gift.

I came up with three ideas for things I could teach the girls to make:
  • Bracelets
  • Baby blankets
  • Hand warmers
I will be writing 3 separate posts that explain each of these crafts, what we did, and how we did it. This first post is about the bracelets!


BRACELETS: We will be making 3 different types of bracelets. I looked on Pinterest and found tutorials for (relatively easy) bracelets. My original idea was to let the girls make bracelets for themselves (and to give to friends/relatives if they wanted). One concern that I had was that some of the girls might not like the bracelets (and not be very interested in making them).

When I was picking up the bracelet supplies, I thought of a way that we could make the activity more meaningful. I remembered that our local Women's shelter always requests donations of items that children can give to their mothers as Christmas gifts. So I went to the dollar store and bought 12 small Christmas gift bags and set a goal that (in addition to any bracelets that the girls want to make/keep for themselves) we would also complete 12 bracelets to donates as gifts. I'm hoping each of the girls will like at least one of the bracelets we're making, but even if they don't, I think they will be enthusiastic about making them for a good cause.

Here are the 3 bracelet styles I chose (click on photos to go to the tutorials on Pinterest)-



UPDATE:
Here is a photo of some of girls working on the bracelets at Mutual last Wednesday. As you can see, we had quite a mess going! They worked very quickly, so it took a lot less time than I'd planned. So if you do this activity you'll probably need to either make MORE bracelets to donate (I set a goal of 12 bracelets and it took less than 20 minutes for them to get them done!) OR plan an additional activity/craft to go along with this. The girls did enjoy making the bracelets and seemed excited about donating them to the Shelter.


MATERIALS NEEDED: depends on type of bracelets being made (see tutorials by clicking on photos)


PURPOSE: Teaching thriftiness, working with our hands to create things, and good works

1 comment:

  1. amazing things you make.. ive just bought a fiskars fuse creativity system, but I dont know how to make it work, maybe you could help me? best regards michella denmark

    ReplyDelete